Creative Solutions For Preventing And Resolving Legal Problems
Dustin R. Hurley
- Managing Attorney at Hurley Law
Dustin R. Hurley has enjoyed a diverse legal career, making him uniquely qualified to effectively represent businesses and business owners. His practice is focused on Business Law, Commercial Real Estate, and Business Litigation.
He was born and raised in Middletown, Ohio, the son of a steel worker and a probation officer. After graduating from Middletown High School, he attended Miami University Farmer School of Business. He graduated from business school with a degree in Business Management. Dustin immediately attended University of Dayton School of Law.
During law school, Dustin worked in his stepfather's law practice located in Springboro, Ohio, where he learned the business side of running a law practice. It was also during law school that he interned for the prosecutor of a local municipal court, which sparked an interest in trial practice.
Following graduation from law school, Dustin accepted a position as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Montgomery County, Ohio. He was immediately in the courtroom every day, handling a high volume of cases. This is where Dustin had his first trials and started to develop his strong litigation skills.
Dustin eventually left the Prosecutor's Office and rejoined his stepfather's law firm. In this role, Dustin worked directly with individuals and families in resolving debt issues, including bankruptcy. He also gained extensive experience in federal court litigation during this time, including many motions, oral arguments, and evidentiary hearings.
Always having an entrepreneurial spirit, and a business education background, Dustin wanted to use his knowledge and experience to help business owners. That was the driving force behind starting Hurley Law. Since that time, Hurley Law has grown into a law firm with multiple attorneys and staff, working in multiple office locations, and representing clients in nearly all practice areas.
Now, Dustin's practice is primarily focused on serving as outside general counsel for businesses. His diverse experience allows him to effectively advise business clients on a wide range of legal topics, from drafting simple contracts to being lead trial counsel on multi-year federal litigation. This reduces the need for business clients to work with multiple lawyers or law firms, and allows him to be more effective by having a deeper understanding of his clients' business.
Dustin is also known for being an active volunteer within the Middletown, Ohio community. He has served as a board member and officer for multiple non-profit organizations, and commission member for the City of Middletown. Dustin was previously the City Attorney for a nearby municipality. He has been an acting prosecutor in multiple courts. Dustin is also a frequent lecturer to attorneys and Judges for Continuing Legal Education seminars. He frequently plays drums for his church's music team.
He has been voted by other attorneys as an Ohio Super Lawyer Rising Star since 2016. Dustin is also rated by his peers and Martindale-Hubbell as having High Professional Achievement.
Areas Of Practice
- Business & Commercial
- Bankruptcy Law
- Employment Law (Employer)
- Real Estate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Ohio, 2008
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2009
- University of Dayton School of Law, Dayton, Ohio
- J.D. - 2008
- Miami University School of Business, Oxford, Ohio
- B.S. Management - 2005
- Lecturer, Bankruptcy Law Topics at Attorney Seminars in Dayton and Cincinnati
- Legal Considerations When Buying and Selling a Business, Small Business Development Center , 2015 to 2015
- Drafting and Reviewing Business Contracts Seminar, 09/17/2019
- Business Drafting Essentials: LLC/Partnerships Agreements, Shareholder Agreements and Common Contracts , NBI, Inc., 01/26/2021
Honors And Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Business/Corporate Law, 2016 - 2023
- Top 40 Litigation Lawyers Under 40 in Ohio, 2014-2015
- 10 Best Bankruptcy Attorneys in Ohio, 2014
- Clients' Choice Award, 2014-2015
- 10/10 Avvo Rating
- Better Business Bureau Accredited Business
- Martindale-Hubbell - BV Distinguished
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Butler County Bar Association, Member, Present
- Mid-Miami Valley Bar Association, Member, Present
Past Employment Positions
- Montgomery County, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, 2008 to 2009
- West & Hurley, Partner , 2009 to 2013
Pro Bono Activities
- Downtown Middletown, Inc., Board of Directors, Member
- Middletown Young Professionals, Inc., Board of Directors, Member
- Middletown Airport Commission, Commission Past Member
- Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyers Project
- The Oaks Community Church, Service Team Leader(Past)
- Middletown Community Foundation, Distribution Committee, Member
- The Chamber of Commerce, Government Relations Committee, Member